Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Monday 11 June 2007 20:06, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> I agree with the "sounds stupid" part, although I don't belive this is a
> valid argument. What I don't believe is your 80 colums argument. Could
> you please name a few of the *many* programs which would have to drop
> information, precision, or significantly change their display to use the
> "KiB" unit?

What I'm missing in this request is the practical use.

The original example given at the start of this thread was:

 Package: filezilla
 State: not installed
 Version: 3.0.0~beta10-0ubuntu1
 Section: universe/net
 Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
 Uncompressed Size: 2134k

Can you tell me in which cases you would make a different decision if this was
either 2134*1000 or 2134*1024 bytes?

In either case, ~ 2 million bytes suits your requirement, or it doesn't.
This sounds to me like solving a non-problem, unless you can of course tell me
in which situations adding the "B" or "iB" in the field above would solve a
real question.

thanks,
Thijs