Re: APT 0.7 for sid

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 05:39:54PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> FWIW, synaptic has an option in its preferences dialog called "Consider
> recommended packages as dependencies", which is off by default.
>
> I completely agree, to treat Recommends as "weak dependencies" and
> install them by default and make that behaviour consistent among all
> package managers.
>
> The frontends imho just need a clear way of showing which packages are
> going to be installed because of a Depends and which because of a
> Recommends, so it would be easier to de-select a recommended package.

For synaptic, I think it would be fine if Recommends were marked as such
in the window which pops up when you select a package; right now Depends
and (if you select the above option) Recommends are just mentioned as
"Will be installed" (at least in my outdated version of synaptic).

Synaptic could mark them as Recommends there and offer a check-box for
each, so people could easily unmark recommended packages they do not
want installed at this point (though maybe it should be pointed out
(once) that doing so might be unwise).

Michael