Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 05:14:18PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Magnus Holmgren wrote:
>
> >I'm in favour! (But are you requesting that aptitude use SI prefixes
> >correctly, or that it use IEC (binary) prefixes?
>
> I think we should go for the binary prefixes. Users will be confused
> when they read 1k and notice that the package has 'just' 1000 bytes.
> Plus, the 2^n presentation is much more common in the IT world than the
> 10^n presentation.

Not for network bandwidth, and less and less for storage space
(commercials do understand what a "free" 7.5% bonus means, i.e. selling
something as 7.5% larger when it is in fact the same that it used to
be).

I do agree, that especially in the case of filesystem organisation, it
makes much more sens to use the binary units.