Re: APT 0.7 for sid

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Alexander Wirt wrote:
>> Please never make it a default. Humans make errors and I never want packages
>
> Recommends *are* to be installed by default, unless you specifically tell
> the tool not to. This is the whole point, one that has been broken for a
> few *years* now and has caused problems to everyone for that long.

[..]

> synaptic & co are also broken in a very bad way if they do not offer to
> install recommends by default (and broken in a very bad usability way if you
> can't tell them that no, you don't want that recommended package installed).
> Just fix them.  dselect was fixed a long time ago, and aptitude does this
> right since day one (AFAIK anyway).

FWIW, synaptic has an option in its preferences dialog called "Consider
recommended packages as dependencies", which is off by default.

I completely agree, to treat Recommends as "weak dependencies" and
install them by default and make that behaviour consistent among all
package managers.

The frontends imho just need a clear way of showing which packages are
going to be installed because of a Depends and which because of a
Recommends, so it would be easier to de-select a recommended package.

Otherwise there would be no point having Suggests and Recommends, if
they are basically treated the same by the package management tool.

Just my 2¢,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?