Re: libpkg / libupt / libept gets popcon support

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 11:24:19PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> >the name of the new library is still in flux, and maybe it'll end up
> >with the name 'libept' and replacing the libept we have now.
> I have to admit, that with "libpkg" I'd expect to find something
> working on the actual packages, whereas your library is working with
> metadata on the packages, mostly for finding them.
> Maybe something along libipkg or libinfopkg is more appropriate?

ipkg is the package manager for openwrt, openmoko and other embedded
places.  I thought of infopkg, but it doesn't say anywhere that the
library only handles metadata: I do plan to add to the apt::Apt class
the facilities to perform installs, deinstalls and updates; after all,
it's not hard to do.

But in the end, I went for libept: I already managed to port all the
packages depending on the current libept on this new library; since the
current libept is too complex to be manageable, we solve two problems
(maintaining the old library and naming the new one) by just superseding
it.

BTW, xapian full text index of package descriptions is coming :)

Ciao,

Enrico