Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 04:46:30PM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:

> However, there doesn't seem to be any single, consistent,
> doesn't-change-for-the-life-of-the-release, programmatically possible
> (never mind *easy* just yet...) method to find out if I'm on Debian
> sarge, etch, lenny, or some third-party Debian-derived distribution.

Your approach is wrong. Many machines have packages installed from
multiple distributions simultaneously (sarge+etch, sarge+backports,
etch+backports, etch+lenny, lenny+sid, sid+experimental are probably the
most common combinations nowadays). Backported packages may even be
compiled locally so they may not have any distribution associated with
them at all.

> Some searching turned up a suggestion to use the glibc version as a
> reference...  which might be OK if there weren't so much overlap between
> releases.  :(  (I checked woody, sarge, etch, and lenny.  There was
> overlap between woody and *etch*, IIRC.  Ewww.)

Forget it. I already have a machine in production which is mostly etch
but glibc and a handful of other packages are from lenny.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences