Reasons for recommends and suggests

Hi,

what I am really missing in the current dependency scheme is WHY some packages
define Recommends and Suggests on specific other packages.

My problem with the current situation that you either do the policy of always
installing such stuff or you don't. There is no way to decide case by case
because there is definitely information missing in the description of
packages.

OK, some of those are obvious but some Recommends and Suggests are completely
mysterious to me. And even after installation, I still don't know how those
additional packages do extend/improve/whatever the originally wanted package.

It would be nice if maintainers of packages with Recommends and Suggests that
are non-obvious could state in the package description a reason for each of
them.

If I file bugs about them, which severity can this be given?

HS