System freezes when copying large files over pptp in Etch

Hi all,

I have several machines (all T60s) at work running Debian/Etch/AMD64
suffering the same problem: when copying large files over network the
system suddenly freezes and is only rebootable via power-off button.

I can reproduce this bug pretty constantly when running pptp but was not
able to reproduce it without pptp yet, so I'm assuming it's a problem
with pptp-linux or one of the relevant kernel drivers.

I've no idea what the problem is but I noticed that my syslog always
gets spammed with the following lines just before the freeze:

pptp[4072]: anon log[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:407]: buffering packet 484619
(expecting 484489, lost or reordered)
pptp[4072]: anon log[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:407]: buffering packet 484620
(expecting 484618, lost or reordered)
pptp[4072]: anon log[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:407]: buffering packet 484621
(expecting 484618, lost or reordered)
pptp[4072]: anon log[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:407]: buffering packet 484622
(expecting 484618, lost or reordered)
pptp[4072]: anon log[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:407]: buffering packet 484623
(expecting 484618, lost or reordered)
pptp[4082]: anon log[logecho:pptp_ctrl.c:676]: Echo Reply received.

Someone pointed me to #416404 which is an open, grave bug against pptpd
in etch, which sounded very similar but it's filled against pptpd
(server) which is not even installed on those systems but pptp-linux
(client).

Is someone aware of this problem and knows if a bugreport was already
filled?

If not, how can I get useful information to report a bug myself? I've
tried strace but it doesn't seem to provide useful information in this
case (just read, write, select, ... again and again when using wget to
download big files).

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org