Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On 14-May-07, 07:55 (CDT), "Mgr. Peter Tuharsky" <tuharsky@misbb.sk> wrote:
> Ask somebody, what distro would he install at desktop for novice or M$
> refugee? Why many are choosing Ubuntu instead of Debian, and even worse,
> abandon Debian in favor of Ubuntu?

Why is this worse? Why isn't there room for two similar distributions,
with one aimed at being more up-to-date for a limited set of packages
and hardware, while the other aims at being rock-solid on a wide variety
of hardware for extended periods of time?

There are certainly ways that Debian can improve, but I'm not convinced
that "become more like Ubuntu" is one of them. Why not let Ubuntu
fulfill the desires of that group of users?

Steve
--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net