Re: Poll: Anybody using debpool?

Hi Magnus,

Magnus Holmgren wrote:
[...]
> Since I liked it very much I immediately started adding and rewriting code and

"me too" ;)

> submitting my suggestions for improvement to the BTS, but unfortunately Joel

Yes, I also sent him an email some time ago, asking if he is interested
in what I did, my but never got a reply.

> seems to be gone; he hasn't uploaded anything or commented on any bugs for
> over eight months. I don't want debpool to die, especially not with all the
> hours I spent on it...
>
> I could of course fork it (except that it wouldn't really be a fork since I'd
> continue in the same general direction, and also it isn't much of a fork
> unless the original branch continues to grow), but first I'd like to ask if
> anyone else has an interest in this package and could think of cooperating
> with me.

I do. I am currently a littlebit short of time, but I also already
hacked some improvements into debpool, among them

- - Added optional File Alteration Monitor support to make the
  incoming queue more responsive (plan is to also add GAMIN support)

- - Started to implement automatic tests to check if packages are
  properly installed in the pool (see the tests subdirectory)

- - Added support for multi arch archives (the .package files were
  not arch specific and therefore overwritten when an additional
  arch-specific package was uploaded)

- - Some minor bug fixes

The package is at http://littletux.homelinux.org/debian/pool/main/d/debpool/

> I'd like to suggest, then, that a project be started on Alioth, let's
> say "saving-debpool" or "debpool-2g". Or anything that is better.  :-)  I just
> wanted to make clear that no one is "stealing" debpool or anything.
> Discussion can then continue on an associated mailing list.

Great! I would be glad to contribute to this project!

Thanks,

	Andreas