Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

I think everyone missed the important part of my message.....
so I'm soliciting comments on it again.

>But perhaps the best "solution" is to document prominently that if you
>replace your network hardware, you should delete the line associated
>with the removed hardware from
>/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules before inserting the new
>hardware.  This would almost always give exactly the desired result,
>that the new hardware would assume the name of the old hardware.

>Actually, the same caveat should be documented with regard to
>z25_persistent-cd.rules.  I've had to swap out CD drives disturbingly
>often (dust, I think....), and thankfully I haven't yet had to do it
>with a machine running udev, because this would have bitten me as I
>wondered why the CD numbers kept going up and up and up.

This is the "documentation solution", and I think it would be
essentially acceptable to most people.  Now, this is currently NOT
prominently documented.  To be prominently documented, it should be in
the installation manual and the release notes for each release, in a
prominent place in /usr/share/doc/udev (perhaps its own file
"REPLACING-HARDWARE.txt")?, and possibly other places.

Anyone have any thoughts on where and how this should be documented?
Which documents do we need to make patches for and how detailed should
the description in each document be?