Re: Attempted summary and thoughts

d Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 02:19:45PM -0400, Matthias Julius a écrit :
> "cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)" <cobaco@skolelinux.no> writes:
>
> >    Automatically orphaning such packages has problems as Russel pointed out,
> >    but a "needs co-maintainers"/"needs hijacking" list of packages where
> >    DD's can be more aggressive in jumping/taking over in seems a good idea
> >    IMO.
>
> You could allow and encourage NMUs for bugs of priority less than
> important that are more than 6 months old.

Hi all,

at some point, something has to be done. Having pacakges maintained
only by NMU is not healthy...

Yesterday, we had a discussion on the debian-med list, and the outcome
was that there was an intersting proposition of enhancement of a
package. Now here is its status :

- Previous upload : 2005

- out of the 8 packages of the maintainer, 5 are NMUed. Another one
  has not changed since Sarge.

- The package we are interseted in have two patches in the BTS, one of
  them has a "Thanks for the patch" answer at the end of 2006.

The maintainer is not MIA, but does not actively develop anymore.

The package has eight open bugs of severity normal or higher. We
submitted a wishlist bug. What will happen ? I guess nothing. How long
will we wait if the maintainer does not answer quickly ? I guess that
we will wait the time necessary to be busy doing something else and
not having the time to care anymore.

There are many examples like this where the momentum is lost because
before doing anything to a package of somebody else, one must be
sure that it is really rotting dead.

Although they are not perfect, the proposals posted on -devel which
aim at not letting packages fossilize are in my opinion crucial to the
survival of Debian. Packages which are not actively developoped and
whose maintainer is not currently active should be instantly
hijackable, preferably by teams. Would somebody take care of the
packages I created, I would not feel like being robbed. It would give
me extra time to pursue long-term goals at the project level.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org