Re: Alioth lists are too strict in checking senders

Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com> wrote:
> In trying to send mail to an alioth ml I got:

> The following message to <pkg-mdadm-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org> was undeliverable.
> The reason for the problem:
> 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-"Verification failed for <prvs=rodrigo=594bf1d30@nul-unu.com>\nCalled:   207.44.202.99\nSent:     RCPT TO:<prvs=rodrigo=594bf1d30@nul-unu.com>\nResponse: 550 5.1.1 <prvs=rodrigo=594bf1d30@nul-unu.com>... User unknown\nSender callout failed: Sender adress can't be verified trough SMTP check."

> Shouldn't such tests cause, at most, mail to be queued up for
> moderation?
[...]

No, since if it accepted it first and chose to to *reject* it later it
would be impossible to notify the sender of the message, since
prvs=rodrigo=594bf1d30@nul-unu.com is undeliverable. By not acepting
it in the first place, we can pass on this bucket to a system that
should be able to so.

You might ponder kicking your ISP for rewriting your sender from to an
invalid address.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'