Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

#include <hallo.h>
* Marco d'Itri [Mon, Feb 26 2007, 02:36:13AM]:
> On Feb 26, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
> > "You and others" cannot substitute for a response *from the package
> > maintainer* acknowledging (or otherwise) the bug report. That's the
> > criterion being discussed here: not a resolution for the reported bug,
> > but rather a first response from the package maintainer to the bug
> > report, to acknowledge that it has not been ignored.
> If a maintainer keeps doing uploads we can be almost sure that he is not
> "ignoring" bugs too.

Nonsense. A good example already comes to my mind where the maintainer
is doing uploads but only for bugs that have RC priority or important
and are easy to fix. Not matching this criteria? Then you are simply
ignored. No answer. Not one single word from the maintainer over many
months even while people are providing patches to fix it.

The solution shall be setting some RC priority to all bugs then. Then he
will need to touch the bug report at least once to downgrade the
severity (in theory). Obviously not a good solution.

For me, I decided to NMU sooner in the next situation like that. Why
wasting time when you can improve the package and the maintainer does
obviously not want to, right?

> Providing an useful answer to a bug requires proper bug triage, which
> requires time.

Typing "does XY's patch solve you problem so I can schedule the fix for
my next upload" does cost you more than 20 seconds? What about joining a
fast keyboard typing course then?

Eduard.