Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 07:27:29PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:12:43AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:
> >
> > > You and others are most welcome to take a stab at the 1000 open bugs
> > > against the official kdepackages.
> >
> > "You and others" cannot substitute for a response *from the package
> > maintainer* acknowledging (or otherwise) the bug report. That's the
> > criterion being discussed here: not a resolution for the reported bug,
> > but rather a first response from the package maintainer to the bug
> > report, to acknowledge that it has not been ignored.
>
> And what he's telling you, and what I'm telling you, is that it's a
> completely crap criterion for those of us who deal with massive packagesets
> like KDE. Simply replying to a bug won't get it fixed any sooner or
> decrease the impact it has on the user. In addition, it distracts us from
> doing what is potentially far more productive work.
>
>  - David Nusinow
Users and developers. Two different animals. Some developers want to fix
bugs and not communicate anything other than "I fixed a bug " and
consider saying "Yes I got your bug report" as a waste of time. Yes, it
is a waste of time in terms of the developers goal of fixing the bug but
it is not a waste of time in regards to extablishing a positive
relationship with "those folks who use the software" aka our users --
like the Debian foundation documents mention--and saying that you
ackowledging their part of the process of software development and not
treating them with distrain. If you treat them well, by acknowleding
their bug reports and -- $DEITY forgive -- saying you are working on it,
even if it takes a $LONG_TIME to fix, they will be patient and will try
to be helpful by testing your work further and proving you with more bug
report or even patches. Communication is not a waste of time. Ever been
in an airport or subway, waiting for an hours and no updates.... wishing
for someone to tell you what the status is? It makes folks feel better,
even if it doesn't change the situation.
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |