Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 08:51:17PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 01:45:28AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> > On 2007-02-26, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
> > > I have to completely disagree here.  When I started in earnest with the
> > > effort to clean up the sasl package, I literally spent three twelve hour
> > > days in a row doing nothing but bug triage.  I really am not surprised
> > > that people had not offered to help previously.  There were bugs which
> > > had been unanswered for months or years.  And that was for a package
> > > with only ~100 bugs.  When we finally uploaded the new version, it
> > > closed something like 38 bugs.
> >
> > pff... 100 bugs - that's what we recieve in 6 weeks.
> >
> Ooooh.  I stand in awe of your greatness.
>
> Seriously, do you think that the number of bug reports you receive is
> justification to not answer them?

  errrm, let me think..... YES !

  There is a thing to know about bugs, answering "hey, I got your mail"
is useless, vacation can do that. So if we suppose answering means
digging a bit, or forwarding upstream or... it then takes at least 15
minutes (for easy bugs). Up to the hour for some (to try to figure out
what the hell the user meant). And NO those number are not irrelevant,
when I closed sth like 250 or 300 KDE bugs last year, It took me 1 hour
for 3 to 4 bugs when I was quick.

  So now let's do a simple calculation. 100 bugs, 20 minutes, that's
2000 minutes, over 6 weeks, that's 333 minutes a week, meaning at least
6 hours a half of work. Just to keep up with bugs. Of completely tedious
work.

  Add to that: working on the backlog, working on the bugs that in fact
need 1hour of work, packaging new upstreams, doing some maintenance on
the repository and so on, and KABOOOM, either you have a time machine,
or there is not enough time.

  so well, hmm let me think again ... YES THIS IS A DAMN PERFECT
ARGUMENT.

> In fact, I would argue that the more reports you receive, the more you
> should endeavour to make sure that they are properly triaged and that
> the submitters know you are working on them.

  well, that would be a lie: (news@11) we don't work on them. So all's
for the best, it's just fairly visible that we don't even pretend to,
isn't that great ?

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit