Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 02:36:13AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> If a maintainer keeps doing uploads we can be almost sure that he is not
> "ignoring" bugs too.
> Providing an useful answer to a bug requires proper bug triage, which
> requires time.

Right.  Which means that it should not be ignored.

> If this is trivial for you then feel free to help with the udev bugs
> (it's even easier than the usual package: they are usually bogus and
> you can just close them).

Of course, when starting a software development project, you can also
say "Well, requirements take time.  If you want to help, that is fine,
but in the meantime we have real work to do."  The point is that bug
triage is key to knowing what you are doing in terms of improving the
package you maintain.  Especially if the package is important or
popular.  Even moreso if the package gets lots of bugs filed against it.

Another nice thing about bug triage is that it lets the users (who
report the bugs) know that somebody cares.  I have reported bugs that
have gone unanswered for a year or even two years.  There are probably a
half-dozen like that right now, just which I have submitted.

Regards,

-Roberto

Regards,

-Roberto