Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 07:27:29PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:

> And what he's telling you, and what I'm telling you, is that it's a
> completely crap criterion for those of us who deal with massive packagesets
> like KDE. Simply replying to a bug won't get it fixed any sooner or
> decrease the impact it has on the user. In addition, it distracts us from
> doing what is potentially far more productive work.

I have to completely disagree here.  When I started in earnest with the
effort to clean up the sasl package, I literally spent three twelve hour
days in a row doing nothing but bug triage.  I really am not surprised
that people had not offered to help previously.  There were bugs which
had been unanswered for months or years.  And that was for a package
with only ~100 bugs.  When we finally uploaded the new version, it
closed something like 38 bugs.

IOW, having the packages bugs properly organized and triaged is critical
to knowing what you are fixing with each upload.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez