Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 07:27:29PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:12:43AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:
> >
> > > You and others are most welcome to take a stab at the 1000 open bugs
> > > against the official kdepackages.
> >
> > "You and others" cannot substitute for a response *from the package
> > maintainer* acknowledging (or otherwise) the bug report. That's the
> > criterion being discussed here: not a resolution for the reported bug,
> > but rather a first response from the package maintainer to the bug
> > report, to acknowledge that it has not been ignored.
>
> And what he's telling you, and what I'm telling you, is that it's a
> completely crap criterion for those of us who deal with massive packagesets
> like KDE. Simply replying to a bug won't get it fixed any sooner or
> decrease the impact it has on the user. In addition, it distracts us from
> doing what is potentially far more productive work.

  bleh, you're totally wrong ! That *is* an excellent criterium, if you
need proof, look at the libc: too many unanswered bugs, it should not be
in testing. End of story.

  The releasable set of packages is now void, we can release any minute
now !

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit