Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:12:43AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:
>
> > You and others are most welcome to take a stab at the 1000 open bugs
> > against the official kdepackages.
>
> "You and others" cannot substitute for a response *from the package
> maintainer* acknowledging (or otherwise) the bug report. That's the
> criterion being discussed here: not a resolution for the reported bug,
> but rather a first response from the package maintainer to the bug
> report, to acknowledge that it has not been ignored.

And what he's telling you, and what I'm telling you, is that it's a
completely crap criterion for those of us who deal with massive packagesets
like KDE. Simply replying to a bug won't get it fixed any sooner or
decrease the impact it has on the user. In addition, it distracts us from
doing what is potentially far more productive work.

 - David Nusinow