Re: How to maintain packaging files for multiple distributions in the same tree?

Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> In Ubuntu you have a parallel version. You split of from the main
>> trunk but you follow parallel to it at a small distance. For every new
>> main version you want a new ubuntu version. Ubuntu versions aren't a
>> branch but rather a filter on top of the main release. The main
>> release changes, the filter remains constant (hopefully).
>>
>> Branches don't work so well for ubuntu as you have to pull over the
>> changes from the main branch to the ubuntu branch on every
>> release. Which means (unneccessary) work.
>
>  Are you comparing in the general case of packages in Debian and in
>  Ubuntu?

No, just comparing tracking stable releases against parallel
developement in multiple distributions. What I said for
stable/testing/unstable works for sarge/etch/sid just as well as for
badger/bzreeze/whatever-ubuntus-crawler-of-the-day-is-called.

>  I think it's possible to manage software with a trunk for development
>  and regular "snapshots" of this trunk for either a Debian/unstable or
>  an Ubuntu upload or both.
>
>  (I agree on what you said for uploads to testing or stable.)

MfG
        Goswin