Re: How to maintain packaging files for multiple distributions in the same tree?

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> In Ubuntu you have a parallel version. You split of from the main
> trunk but you follow parallel to it at a small distance. For every new
> main version you want a new ubuntu version. Ubuntu versions aren't a
> branch but rather a filter on top of the main release. The main
> release changes, the filter remains constant (hopefully).
>
> Branches don't work so well for ubuntu as you have to pull over the
> changes from the main branch to the ubuntu branch on every
> release. Which means (unneccessary) work.

 Are you comparing in the general case of packages in Debian and in
 Ubuntu?

 I think it's possible to manage software with a trunk for development
 and regular "snapshots" of this trunk for either a Debian/unstable or
 an Ubuntu upload or both.

 (I agree on what you said for uploads to testing or stable.)

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>