Re: How to maintain packaging files for multiple distributions in the same tree?

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Evil. Don't change control at build time.

 Well, all GNOME packages update their control in the clean target, and
 I think this is ok.  The GStreamer packages update their packages in
 a special "maint" target which is manual; this works okish, but this
 gets forgotten from time to time.

> Beter to generate a debian/control.new from control.in and then fail
> (with a helpfull message) if that differs from debian/control.

 That's an idea if the above mechanisms displease ftpmasters.

 However, it goes against having two controls for Maemo and Debian.

> I think the simplest thing is to branch. You might want to upload some
> ix to stable-proposed-updates, security or testing-proposed-updates in
> which case your changelog gets additional entries not present in the
> unstable changelog and so on. A branch fits there perfectly.

 I'm not convinced this will work.  I can imagine this will either
 result in a fork or in a large manual process such as Ubuntu's; in both
 cases, the process doesn't encourage pushing the patches back to
 Debian (IMO, and from what I've seen).

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>