Re: Icons and instructions for the FreeDesktop menu.

Le Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 06:04:09AM -0700, Bruce Sass a écrit :

> I also agree that automatic down-converting would be good, but think
> that automatic generation of menus from pieces at package install time
> would be better. Iow, build a <prg>.menu.common for every interactive
> program and use <prg>.menu.[freedesktop|kde|gnome|some-de] for Desktop
> Environment specific bits, then require the menu producers be able to
> construct a menu entry from the pieces via infrastructure provided
> routines.

As the .desktop format becomes a de facto standard, we are more and more
in a situation where the .menu files have to be written from a .desktop
file. In a system where the .desktop files used in Debian would be
generated from the Debian .menu file, this would lead to a double
conversion.

If persons are willing to work on improving the Debian menu system, I
would rather advocate using the .desktop format as a native
configuration file. This way we could take advantage of existing
information, and also contribute back our work to the the upstream
developpers when a menu entry is created from scratch for Debian.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org