Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 14:13 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 06:34 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > Are you telling me that these features I keep see getting removed are
> > *NOT* about usability for me? OK, functionality to me... Functionality
> > for me determines my usability. It I have to use some archaic command
> > like (btw I don't really mind them *IF* they are well documented) but
> > like:
>
> If you have any particular pet features that have been removed in GNOME
> and you can make a valid case for their re-inclusion, then file a bug.
> Contrary to popular belief GNOME isn't about removing as many features
> as possible.

I understand that Ross. But, I would be ONE of those NON-Target users so
often used to defend the decisions/directions of the almighty Havoc's
teachings.

Sorry Ross, but I long ago gave up trying to change minds (about 2.4ish
to 2.6ish) when I saw that they were set in fast setting concrete. Yes,
I know you are one of the ones at least trying to help the situation. I
have (err, have had) your burtonini repository in my sources.list in the
past. So I do know your place and your work.

In any case, I see lots of bugs that needs fixing, as the easiest way to
fix then is to remove the offending feature that isn't *REALLY* needed
once the usability experts jump on it.

Yes, I also know, that I have not opened any bugs, but who am I in the
GNOME community? I'll tell you who... a big fat nobody. The powers that
be, that read these GNOME wishlist/case justification bugs look at me...
see "bug filed by a bug, squash it" as I have zero rank to them to
change the mind of the GNOME team. Oh, just to be sure, I've had some
real doozies with a few on the GNOME team. One explained to me...
EXACTLY how much impact a single Power User filing a bug for
re-inclusion or halting removal of said features... it increases the
fervor at which this stuff is rejected.(1)

So, unless something has drastically changed since ~2003-2005 time
frame, I seriously doubt (know) I won't have any impact to scratch my
itch, even *IF* I included a PERFECT set of patches.

I truly thank you for your efforts to help those of us cast aside, not
being in the target audience, to be more comfortable and productive in
the GNOME Desktop Environment.

1 == Now mind you I can't find the reference to it at the moment. And
really I am not inclined to devote more than the 10 minutes I've spent
looking for it.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is