Re: Icons and instructions for the FreeDesktop menu.

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 10:37 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Unless I'm confused, this is what makefiles are for.  How much trouble
> > is it to set it up, which must only be done once?
>
>  Why convert it at build time?  Can't update-menus do it only when it's
>  needed (i.e. the menu display only supports XPM)?  And even if it's
>  done at build time, I see no reason each individual maintainer would
>  reinvent the same .desktop -> .menu snippet, and why hundreds of
>  packages would maintain a different snippet or a copy of the same
>  snippet.

I have no objection to update-menu doing it, but it doesn't right now,
and we are supposed to implement policy as it is, not as we dream it
would be if it were better.

As for the second part, yes, this is what debhelper is for.  A snippet
could presumably be put together without much trouble.

Thomas