Icons and instructions for the FreeDesktop menu.

Le Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 09:43:43PM +0100, Loïc Minier a écrit :

>  Why reinvent the wheel in the Debian menu system?  Why would I want to
>  convert nicely looking upstream icons to an old format which can only
>  look uglier?  All desktop environments support pngs, and even svgs.

Hi all,

am I wrong or one can have foo.png in foo.desktop, and foo.xpm in
foo.menu? If upstream does not provide an xpm icon, the "convert"
command of the imagemagick package can easily create one at build time.

Also, I have the impression that the Debian menu system is not a
reinvented wheel, but an old wheel kept in the car in case it is needed.
Both systems are not in competition in my opinion.

Lastly, as a maintainer of packages wich are not part of a
FreeDesktop-compatible suite, I would welcome instructions about where
and when registering an application in the FreeDesktop menu. Or even
better, a policy.

Not being a user of this menu, I have a hard time guessing what users
expect.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy