Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:55:53PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:22:51PM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:03:15 +0100
> > Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> wrote:
> > >  Just FYI, I *personally* would prefer an evince entry in the menu as
> > >  well, but I prefer keeping close to the usability policy defined by
> > >  upstream.

> > Well we shouldn't keep ourselves hostage of stupid upstream behaviour,
> > should we?

> Contrary to us, GNOME (in this case RedHat) actually employs usability
> experts.  Who are we to think we know better?

Real users with brains, instead of the idealized "ooh I'm afraid of
computers eek a mouse kill it kill it!!!" novice idiots who are the
exclusive target of all modern usability testing?

All computer usability studies I've seen in the past 4 or so years have
focused entirely on how a user who has never seen the interface before is
able to accomplish tasks, with no consideration given to the long-term
efficiency of the interfaces that happen to have the lowest inital learning
curve.  Thus their goal is to help win market share, not to help make users
more productive, and should be shunned as the near-sighted marketing crap
they really are.

Cheers :),