Re: localisation in system wide daemons

Hello,

Andrea Bolognani wrote:

If we want to provide our non-English-speaking users with localized log
messages, wouldn't it be possible to create a program which translates the
logs on the fly, based on the message catalog we should write anyway?

IMO, the proper solution would be machine-readable log information,
probably similar to lintian output ("dash-separated-tag variable1
variable2"), that can be postprocessed into a human-readable text in the
appropriate language or analysed by automated tools.

Writing localised strings into a logfile makes it rather difficult for
people to write proper bug reports.

   Simon