Re: FSG Packaging Summit in Berlin

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> I'm boycotting feeding any useful information to LWN anymore until they
> retract their latest blanket insult of all DD's and stop being so biased.

Interesting.  It's usually the Fedora folks who complain about bias at
LWN.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is here.  The text in question is
(presumably):

	Debian will get the Etch release out this year. Honest. What
	could possibly go wrong? Thereafter, the Debian developers will

So where is the insult?  Certainly it wouldn't be "what could possibly
go wrong?"  I don't think I am the only one to notice that Debian
releases do not always happen when people think they might.  Remember
that I had previously predicted that the 2006 release date would hold.

As for the firmware comment: correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe
that the project, via general resolution, punted the firmware issue
until after the release of Etch.  Of course it's going to come back, it
comes back every release cycle.  Is it an insult to say that?

Honestly, it was not my intent to insult anybody.  I'm sorry if I did.
But, being the socially-challenged person I am, I still don't understand
how that could be.

jon

Jonathan Corbet / LWN.net / corbet@lwn.net