Re: Proposal for Lenny: Please avoid duplicated changelogs for binary packages sharing the same source package

On 1/2/07, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:44:10PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find it wasteful to install the same changelogs (both Debian and
> upstream) in binary packages which share the same sources. Why not
> have symlinks in place of these and perhaps an extra /usr/share/doc
> directory named the same as the source package in case a binary
> package of the same name doesn't exist.
>
> Maybe this is not the right time but then maybe someone should
> convince me that I'm proposing a bad idea.

  the problem is, you can only do that if you have one of the binary
package that is always installed with any of the other, else you will
have dangling symlinks, and it's prohibited by the policy (no to mention
that it would be quite useless !)

Why not have an extra /usr/share/doc/$source-name directory in case a
binary package of the same name doesn't exist or is not found to be
installed. This would be a problem when dependencies change, but on
package removal, /usr/share/doc/$source-name would be left alone if
there remains binary packages built from that source package.

Sorry if I seem to disregard the rest of your mail...