Re: Call for testers: cyrus-sasl2

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 11:05 +0100, Jan Wagner wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 November 2006 07:53, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> > This new package is a major change compared to the old version.
> > Therefore, we want people to test it as much as possible!

> can you explain short, what are the changes?

Sure. Some of the most important changes since 2.1.19 (which is in sarge
and etch at the moment) -- this includes both upstream and packaging
changes -- are:

      * LDAP auxprop support -- no need to run saslauthd to authenticate
        against an LDAP directory.
      * Rewrite of Kerberos / GSSAPI plugins -- plus build against MIT
        Kerberos instead of Heimdal.
      * Separate configuration file and plugin directories -- no more
        "secret conf files in /usr/lib/sasl2" (this change is what broke
        Postfix).
      * Security fixes included (sarge has them backported via security
        updates).
      * Debug packages and testing tools provided.

Plus, more than two years worth of bug fixes and small improvements
upstream, a complete rewrite of the Debian packaging using dpatch,
collaborative maintenance via Alioth, ...

I guess this qualifies as "short" :)

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>