Re: default ext3 options

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:10:06 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Bastian Venthur]
>> And since some users might be happily running Debian for years without
>> needing the Debian installer -- what can we do to let those users
>> benefit from enhancements a new Debian Installer brings?
>
> As far as I know, neither the resize_inode nore the dir_index ext3
> option can be securely added after the file system is created.

According
<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/linux.debian.devel/msg/4d987ea414438e70>,
it should be perfectly safe to add dir_index to an existing filesystem.
However, to get the benefit of the indexing for already-created
directories, e2fsck -D should be run after dir_index has been added;
therefore it's probably best to just document the procedure in the release
notes.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078