Re: RFC: ITP: prayer -- fast IMAP-based web mail system with few dependencies

Le jeudi 09 novembre 2006 à 01:58 +0100, Magnus Holmgren a écrit :
> 1. Prayer is geared towards large-scale, perhaps even *very* large-scale
> installations. It offers speed and low resource usage at the expense of
> flexibility. Most admins probably will want to use an Apache-based package,
> such as Squirrelmail.

Looks like an interesting feature.

> 2. Support for other character sets than ISO-8859-1 is non-existant.
> Conversion of various mail text to UTF-8 has to be added.

Now *this* is the hard part. A modern MUA has to handle multiple
character sets, and this is far from easy to implement.

All the rest can be fixed with a reasonable (although far from
negligible) amount of work, but if it is to obtain a single-character
set application, I'm not sure it is that useful. Add to that the fact
that large installations want more and more to have some extras besides
the mail client, and you'll end up with few to zero installations.
--
Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"