Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

Hi,
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:33:13 -0800, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> said:

> I'd like to see this say something about what may be assumed of the
> standard shell utilities, as well as the shell itself, and in
> particular I'd like to see coreutils bug #339085 addressed [please
> see the bug log for my personal very strong opinion on which way it
> should be addressed].

        My personal opinion on this is that we should follow
 standards -- and that we should standardize on current standards,
 after a transition period in line with *DEBIAN* releases, not solaris
 releases.

        Following ancient, and obsolete standards is not always
 feasible, and even when it is, it carries extra code around which has
 to be maintained, and gets in the way of refactoring. So, as far as
 339085 is concerned, I side with the maintainer opinion.

        manoj
--
Would you care to view the ruins of my good intentions?