Re: Why are all packages getting so much bigger?

also sprach Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> [2006.09.21.1210 +0200]:
> While working on the Debian Edu CD building, I notice fewer and fewer
> of the packages we want fit on the CD any more.  Everything seem to
> increase in size.

Sorry for the late response:

>   mdadm          101        155         53%

The size increase is almost certainly related to changes made by
upstream (mdadm in sarge is version 1.9, we'll have 2.5.x in etch,
so there have been many changes, and many additions, like array
growing, RAID6 and RAID10 additions, etc etc.),

  sarge: -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 90312 Jul  1 12:39 /sbin/mdadm
  sid: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 161088 2006-11-09 01:47 /sbin/mdadm

and also copious amounts of documentation, FAQs, initramfs support
files, logcheck filters, helper scripts that I added.

a bachelor is a man who never made the same mistake once.