Re: RFC: ITP: prayer -- fast IMAP-based web mail system with few dependencies

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 01:58:19 +0100, Magnus Holmgren
<holmgren@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

>Prayer is geared towards large-scale, perhaps even *very* large-scale
>installations. It offers speed and low resource usage

That's attractive to me.

>Changing the appearance is rather hard

Like the doctor said: if it hurts, don't do that.

>the purpose of Prayer was to fit on top of UW-based mail systems
>which really weren't designed to run Webmail.

The new mix format mailbox improves UW performance.  But in any case,
a stateful webmail like prayer will always perform better, no matter
what the imap server.

>Now, after 5 years, they don't need it anymore.  No more releases
>are planned.

What will they do, then?

>Comments are welcome
>(It's not that I want to give up, but it's a bit silly to maintain a package
>nobody uses.)

I've tried many webmail systems, and prayer is my last hope. :-)

Why not package it up the way it is, with minimal changes?   Maybe a
few of us can hack some improvements in, over time.