should, ought, must (was: Bug mass filling)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:15:55 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:
>> Is the word "generally" here an error?  I read this as implying the
>> normal meaning of "should" -- that not everything which violates a
>> "should" mandate is a bug.
>
>         I am of the opinion that it is. We can replace non-buggy
>  instances of should by 'ought to be', if needed.

But please don't forget a "legal definition" of those terms.  For me, as
a non-native speaker, I have no idea whether "ought to" is weaker or
stronger than "should", or just something different (and what).

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)