Re: Question regarding maintainer email

* Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> [2006-10-17 09:33]:

> Bill Allombert <ballombe@master.debian.org> writes:
>
> > Something I have yet to understand is what purposes the bounce [from
> > a moderated list] serve in the first place. Moderating is OK, but
> > bouncing ?
>
> I read many mailing lists (this one, for example) without being
> subscribed as a member.
>
> An automated message saying "Your post to the list, unlike many
> others, will be delayed until a human acts" tells me that I shouldn't
> get anxious at the non-appearance of my message on the list. Without
> such a message, many people would believe their message was eaten
> somewhere, and post it again and again.

Moderating has the great advantage of reducing spam in the list.  We have
used this setting for the mailing lists of the Debian Octave Group at
Alioth from the beginning and we are not willing to change it.

As regards bouncing, we recognize that receiving an automated message is not
the suitable behavior.  On the other hand, not receiving anything and not
seeing the message in the list archives is even worse.  We decided then to
suppress bouncing and also to be very reactive as regards the moderation.
We have two moderators for each list and we try to insure that one of them,
at least, will always be available for prompt moderation. As a courtesy to
bug reporters, when we accept messages we systematically add the sender to
the list of people allowed to post.

IMHO, if doing like delineated above, then it is totally acceptable to have
mailing lists as maintainer addresses.

--
Rafael