Re: sometimes-dependency, linux-image-2.6.18-1-486

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:35:49AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 04:08:17PM -0500, Clarence Risher wrote:
> >> And that leads me to the general question, on the topic of
> >> sometimes-dependencies.  Does debian have any facility to handle such?
> >> linux-image-2.6.18-1-486 doesnt technically depend on yaird, since it
> >> can use any mkinitrd script (of which there are many, provided by other
> >> packages), but when it does pick mkinitrd.yaird then it requires an up
> >> to date version of yaird.
> >
> > Conflicts. The package doesn't depend on yaird, but it does (should)
> > conflict with insufficient versions.
>
> You can also use
> Depends: yarid (>= 1.2-3) | initramfs-tools | initrd-toos | foo | bar
>
> Any one of them will do but if yarid is used then the version must be
> new enough.

Isn't there the possibility here that you have both yaird (< 1.2-3) and
another suitable package installed? The deps would be met, but
linux-image-* might choose yaird and build a non-working initramfs.
(The initramfs generators don't conflict with each other.)

Hamish