Re: [Help] Please compile clustalw on architectures ia64, mips, mipsel, s390 and m68k

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

Ah, the pain with no autobuilders for non-free packages.

Exactly.

You will
have to find a developer with access to all of the architectures ia64,
mips, mipsel and s390 (m68k is ignored), and get them to build
binaries of the package.

In principle this might be every developer via

   http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi

but it is just a pain to do it this way (and does not always work -
at least when I tried some months ago I was not able to compile the
package I tried).

Or you can ask the ftpmasters to remove the
binaries for these archs, but that normally take longer time.

That would be stupid because we *want* the architectures.

What about convincing the upstream developers to change the license to
one of the free software licenses?  It would solve the problem for
good.

When I maintained this package I tried and I guess my successors tried
as well.  Another solution was suggested nearly 5 years ago

and if I remember also at other occurences but the search interface
for the list archive does not uncover these mails and Google found
only this one for a quick glance.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--