Re: Request for virtual package ircd

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:10:51AM +0200, Mario Iseli wrote:
> as described in
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt
> I announce here my idea of the virtual package ircd. When I count
> correctly are at the moment 7 different IRC-daemons in Debian and they
> logically conflict with each other. So I would think an official virtual
> package would be a fine solution. There are also IRC services which work
> in general with all ircds, so it would be easier if those packages also
> could only depend on "ircd".

As the (co-)maintainer of 2 IRCd packages and 2 IRC services packages,
I completely disagree.

Some IRC servers do *not* conflict, so a virtual package is
unnecessary. If they conflict, like ircd-hybrid and dancer-ircd,
it is up to the maintainer to manage the conflicts.

Some services, if not all, are designed to work on a specific
IRCd. For instance, hybserv is supposed to only run with ircd-hybrid
and dancer-services to only run with dancer-ircd. I do *not* want to
undertake the maintenance of a services package on other IRC servers
that the one for which it is designed.

> I file now the bug against debian-policy and say thank you in advance
> for your answer.

For what my opinion is worth on the matter, I engage the maintainers
of debian-policy to discard this bug.

Thanks.

Cheers,
--