Re: Request for virtual package ircd

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 08:54:15AM +0200, Milan P. Stanic wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 06:34:41PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > It's also possible to run multiple FTP servers, each listening on a
> > different port, but all the packaged ftp daemons "Conflicts:
> > ftp-server".

> That is bad, IMO. (and chance to raise my opinion about virtual
> packages ;) )

> Conflicts tag is used overmuch. Sometimes I want to have more than one
> ftp-server or mail-transport-agent installed but Conflicts tag does not
> allow that. I know that inexperienced user or admin have benefit from
> Conflicts (and some other tags) and virtual packages but experienced
> ones have problem with them.

m-t-a's must conflict because they are required by policy to provide a
sendmail program at a fixed filesystem location.

While it's possible that port conflicts were part of the original rationale
for m-t-a conflicts, this has definitely not been adhered to consistently in
Debian for other services, and I think there are enough use cases for
installing more than one daemon providing the same service that we /should
not/ attempt to apply such a rule for virtual packages.