Re: Lack of a GR proposal explicitly condemning dunc-tank

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Matthew Wilcox writes:

>> I'm so thoroughly disgusted by you and the actions of people like you
>> that I've stopped working on Debian.  nice job, wanker.

> That is the sole content of Matthew Wilcox's message to me, apart from
> some quoted text from debian-private, which I have removed.

> Normally I wouldn't publish private email but I think in this case the
> abusive nature warrants it.

Two wrongs didn't really make a right here, IMO, and I'm not talking about
publication of private e-mail.  Losing one's temper and insulting one's
colleagues in e-mail isn't okay, but neither is deciding to escalate an
already angry situation by trying to humiliate someone in public for
losing their temper.  Nothing good is going to come from that.

I daresay nearly everyone here has lost their temper from time to time.
It's a lot easier to calm down and decide that there are more constructive
ways of expressing anger if the target of the anger takes a deep breath,
de-escalates, and provides room in which to make the discussion more
productive (or at least to let people stop talking to those with whom they
have strong clashes).