Re: xv and xorg

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:57:28PM -0700, Jiri Klouda wrote:
> I just wanted to ask when xv is going to be updated

It isn't.

> or do I need to compile from sources?

You can use this to fetch the last source package:

# unofficial xv source
deb-src http://debian.uni-essen.de/misc/local/ theo-phys local

That'll get you the last debian package from back in the Potato days (-26).
It's not hard to build it against the current stable or unstable.

The -26 package had quite a few problems besides its licensing.  Patches
that didn't apply properly and so forth, and there are a couple of things
you have to do to get it to build on gcc 4.x.  I'm up to -39 in my own
local copy, although I've patched the h*ll out of it too.

Against unstable, of course, you have to deal with the modular X transition
and move the binary into /usr/bin as well.

There's no tool quite like xv, that wraps so many useful things into one
binary.

--
 Marc Wilson |     What soon grows old?  Gratitude.  -- Aristotle
 msw@cox.net |