Re: ITP: adun.app -- a Molecular Simulator

Gurkan Sengun <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu> wrote:

> On 2006-08-31 13:24:21 +0200 Steffen Joeris <Steffen.Joeris@skolelinux.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thursday 31 August 2006 01:58, Gürkan Sengün wrote:
>>> Package: wnpp
>>> Severity: wishlist
>>>
>>> * Package name    : adun.app
>> Maybe I miss some essential parts, but I always wonder why some people add a
>> .app to the software name? Can you please give me a short explanation or
>> point me to a previous thread?
>
> they don't. it's just the debian packages that do. to not rape the debian
> package name space.

That's a worthwile goal.

> please check the mailing list archive for details.
>
> why, are you having a problem with the names?

I think this is also already in the archives:  To the knowing, the .app
suffix indicates that it is a Gnustep application.  To everyone else,
.app is pretty much meaningless.  Therefore I'd prefer if you'd use a
suffix with a less arcane meaning, like -gnustep.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)