preconfiguration fails, versioned dependency not satisfied

I have a problem without a clear solution. mdadm uses debconf-escape
in it's debconf config file and declares a dependency on debconf (>=
1.4.72), as that command is only available from that version on.

The problem is that apt-preconfigure runs long before APT even
worries about satisfying the versioned dependency on debconf.
Therefore, the configuration fails:

  /tmp/mdadm.config.29435: line 1: debconf-escape: command not found

I see two solutions, but I don't know which one to use:

  - implement my own debconf-escape and use it if the command is not
    available
  - pre-depend on debconf. I am not sure whether this is actually
    going to cut the mustard.

Any advice?

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

"the husbands of very beautiful women
 belong to the criminal classes."
                                                        -- oscar wilde