Re: transitioning config files between two packages

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:28:34PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> sean finney <seanius@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> > so the question is: what am i forgetting to do?  i'm guessing that the
>> > problem has something to do with the original package still being
>> > present (as a metapackage)?
>
>> No, it's a general problem: dpkg won't notice that a conffile has been
>> moved from one package to the other, no matter whether it declares
>> "Replaces" or whatever.  There's simply no solution within dpkg at the
>> moment.
>
> Where do you get this?  Conflicts:/Replaces: has been used quite
> successfully to transfer ownership of conffiles for, e.g., the Xorg
> packages, without spurious prompts.

Hm, I did get this from the fact that I got lots of spurious prompts,
both with my own and with others' packages.  However, in all cases I
remember there was either only a versioned Conflicts, or no Conflicts at
all.

I also don't see anything in the policy that indicates that Conflicts
has an effect on things that should be covered by Replaces; and I think
that it shouldn't.  If dpkg already has the means to cleanly take over
conffiles from an other package, why not just do this when the
taking-over package declares Replaces?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster