Re: Policy regarding virtual packages

On Monday 28 August 2006 14:59, Roger Leigh took the opportunity to say:
> For the case of mail-transport-agent, this could be simply solved by
> the creation of a mail-transport-agent-default package.  This would
> be an empty package, doing nothing but providing this dependency:
>
>   Depends: exim4 | mail-transport-agent
>
> All packages wanting to depend on mail-transport-agent need only have
>
>   Depends: mail-transport-agent-default

Hmm, doesn't the name mail-transport-agent-default suggest that it provides
*a* mail transport agent, namely the default one (but which can change
between releases), and doesn't depending on "mail-transport-agent-default"
suggest that you require not any mail transport agent, but the default one? I
can't come up with a name better than "mail-transport-agent-default-or-other"
though.

Making mail-transport-agent the empty package, and having it depend only on
exim4 (the default), should work. Of course, exim4 can't conflict with it
(but it's enough that all the others do), so if the default is changed then
the old default, the new default, and the empty package have to be modified,
but not the packages depending on mail-transport-agent. I don't think that
this is the right solution though. It's just a thought.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)