Re: Time to rethink ifupdown

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:17:23 +0700, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

I would add my thoughts there but currently I know nothing about netconf
beyond what's written on that page now. What is the scope of netconf? Is
it supposed to supersede ifupdown, supplement it, or be an alternative? Is anything already implemented, or is it only an idea for now?

It's an idea with the final goal to provide most of what
ifupdown+guessnet+resolvconf do now,

I would personally add ifrename to this list.

with better integration with wireless-tools/wpasupplicant and ifplugd,

...but, actually, I think that everything should be "integrated" by adding files to .d-style directories like resolvconf is integrated into ifupdown, rather than "built in" like basic configuration of IPv4 interfaces is built into ifupdown.

and a proper interface for user interfaces.

What do you mean under this?

Is there a  reason to start developing a new tool instead of
enhancing ifupdown?

Is there a reason to cling to ifupdown?

I guess that there is: there is a substantial amount of code written and tested, and ifupdown is widely accepted. OTOH, Debian never was a conservative distro, so all kind of things can be changed.

Yes, you're welcome. I've just subscribed to that list, BTW.

Mh, I don't have it anymore, of course. If you still do, please
bounce it.

Done.

--
Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>